How to make a Black Mini Top Hat
This activity is very entertaining and you can do it whenever you want to make a little costume. You can do it for Carnival, New Year’s Eve or any day to play with your friends and have a good time.
The high-top hat emerged in the 18th century in France as a symbol of revolution. But already in the 19th century this changed and it was used by the ruling classes and people.
Currently, it is used to be well dressed with a tuxedo.
Activity time : minimum 2.5 hours
Caution: Pair of scissors
Age: From 6 years
- 20 x 20 cm cardboard
- 11 x 11 cm cardboard
- Paper cup of coffee
- Black tissue paper, 1 whole leaf
- Colored tissue paper
- White cola in a glass with water
- Barbecue wooden stick
- Pair of scissors
Steps to follow to make the Mini Black High Top Hat:
1. Take the paper cup cut out the inside so that it is empty. Use the scissors. Nail them to make a hole, then trim as much of the paper as you can to make it fit.
2. Take the small cardboard and put the coffee glass on top by the big part. Go over the sphere on the cardboard with the pencil … as in the photo:
3. Now take the large cardboard and go over the small part of the coffee glass.
4. Make another circle around this little one, leaving a minimum space of 3 cm between circle and circle. (The inner circle is 5.7 cm and the one around it is 12 cm in diameter). We have used a compass but you can do with anything round.
If you want to make another shape, you can also do it. You are making the brim of the hat and you can make it to your liking, wider, narrower, oval, star-shaped or whatever you want.
5. If the cardboard you picked up is hard or difficult to cut, use this Trick>
Trick 1 : take the wooden stick and on the part that it clicks, go over the hole you made in the cardboard
6. Then cut out.
Trick 2 : to be able to cut, stick the scissors between the points of the inner circle, it will be easier for you.
And cut out the outer circle too.
7. Here we already have 1 cardboard cut out and we are cutting out the other:
8. Now we glue the brim of the hat to the bottom of the glass.
Put the hat on top and match the hole in the coffee glass with which we have cut out as much as possible. Hook it up with zeal. Look at the photo:
9. Place on the other part of the glass, the other piece of circular cardboard that you have left. Then hook it up with zeal. Check that the structure of the hat is fixed.
10. We put the black tissue paper .
Before starting to put the black tissue paper, we prepare the material to make it easier and more agile:
- It is better if you take a flat brush that is a little wide, it will help you go faster and it will not tear the paper so much.
- The white glue can be diluted in a glass with a little water. The white glue must be liquid but not transparent.
- The black tissue paper can be cut into medium pieces to make it easier to apply.
11. Start by applying the white glue and you see putting the tissue paper on top. Nothing happens if the paper tears, you put another piece on top and that’s it.
12. You see putting glue and paper… Like this:
13. Trick 3 : put black tissue paper joining the hat and the hat brim. It will be more uniform and more beautiful.
14. Let it dry. You can leave it until the next day or put it on a dryer to make it dry faster.
15. To finish, make two holes, one on each side of the hat and pass black elastic band. Join them with a knot and you can put it on !!!
16. If you want to decorate the hat, you can see how it is done in the following Post. You can turn it into a carnival hat as fun as you want.